What to do if you see someone sleeping rough
If you see someone sleeping rough we recommend you contact StreetLink – the rough sleeper referral service for England and Wales. You can either call 0300 500 0914, visit www.streetlink.org.uk or download the app from the Apple or Google Play store.
StreetLink staff will then be able to connect rough sleepers with local street outreach teams or other support groups in the local area. The service accepts calls from the public and self-referrals from current rough sleepers.
If you are immediately concerned about the health of a rough sleeper, dial 999 for emergency services.
What to do if someone you know is worried about becoming homeless
A number of different organisations can provide support and guidance if someone is in a housing crisis. Options include:
- Cheltenham 1st Stop, 301-305 High Street (opposite the Bowling Green), Cheltenham GL50 3HW, Tel: 01242 228999, 9am – 5pm, Mon-Fri
- Cheltenham Housing Aid Centre (CHAC), 31 Prestbury Road, Cheltenham, GL52 2PP, Tel: 01242 226672 www.chac.org.uk
- Shelter Line – homelessness charity Shelter offers a freephone national housing advice line on 0808 800 44 44.
- Citizens Advice offers practical, impartial information online and at a local level.
- Samaritans – whatever you’re going through, call the Samaritans free any time, from any phone, on 116 123.
- The Homelessness Team at Gloucester City Council, Tel: 01452 396396